Tuesday 21 June 2016

Montpellier Interlude

It seemed a long drive back to Montpellier, but Phil later told me that Chantal had got herself a little lost.  Still, it was very pleasant to be sitting down, out of the wind and looking at the countryside fly past.  We stopped off at a local Lidle for a huge lot of supplies but she would not let me use our 'bank' for more than the alcohol.

Her apartment is quite small - one bedroom with a small lounge, and smaller bathroom/laundry and kitchen - but very comfortable.  For each meal we developed a routine where I would move the little table and put out the extensions and then get the fold up chairs and set them up, and then lay the table.  We ate very well over our time there and every meal had some ceremony, a very French approach.  

I enjoyed all our meals but one lunch in particular - crab claw entree, poached salmon and vegetables for the main course, followed by cheeses and then fruit - with pinot blanc.

It was probably very good to have a couple of days where we just lay about.  Phil was able to apply an icepack to his ankle, but it was not getting any better.  Chantal has good internet connection so it was a chance to catch up on my journal. There was a little 'cabin fever' but the time passed very happily.  I learned more about Phil's back story and other things that I will not fill up this blog with.

After a deal of thinking we agreed on a way forward.  Despite our initial hopes that Phil could rejoin me at Toulouse, his ankle does not look good and that is unrealistic, so he will return to Chenaud to recuperate.  Chantal will drop me at Mosson (the tram terminus) on the afternoon of Monday 11 April where I will get the first of two buses to get me to St Gervais, where I will recommence my camino.

No comments:

Post a Comment