Tuesday 7 June 2016

INTRODUCTION

My camino this year was to be very straight forward - in its first outline and then in the agreed plan.  I had been in email contact with Phillipe, the French friend met on the Le Puy route in 2013.  We had made plans to walk the Vezelay route in 2015 but my dislocated shoulder put paid to that plan, although Phil did do that route.  This was to be another attempt to walk a Camino route together.

 Initially it was to be the Camino Portuguese, but Phil wanted to stay in France, just in case he had a repeat of the foot problems of 2015 - in which case it would be easier to get treatment if he could easily communicate in French.  He suggested the Via Tolosana, or the Arles route, and I readily agreed; any walk in France would be fine with me.

Effectively I delegated the planning to Phil and he kept me updated on the 'steps' or stages that he proposed.  We would start in Arles.  Initially the aim was to reach the Col du Somport, on the France-Spain border, but that was always a big ask.  He had to be back in Chenaud by 4 May for a meeting of the NGO he had established, so this set an end date.  I was slow in finally deciding to go and we could not start until 5 April, giving us about a month.

So the plan was revised, and our final aim was to reach Pau.  This is a large city with good transport networks to enable us to return to the Dordogne, where I would spend a few days with him.

In the event, we did start in Arles and I did spend a few days with Phil in Chenaud, but almost everything else about this Camino changed.  

I started to call it 'the unexpected Camino'. and maybe that should be the working title.

My plan now is to post pictures from most days with a short commentary to give an overview of the walk.  This is being done over a month since I actually walked this Camino, so this will give me an opportunity to relive the experience.  I am hopeful that this will also enable me to recollect events and feelings experienced on This Way.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Peter

    Good to hear from you.

    The walk down was ok, dodging cars occasionally - about 1 ½ hours I think. I appreciated not having to negotiate a rough track. A few good vistas for photos.

    On my way down, I passed someone walking up. I met him that night as he was staying in the same Alberque in Santa Cilia and he arrived there quite late. I got to know him over the next few days. A retired Italian army officer conducting his Camino with military discipline.

    Santa Cilia was probably the least appealing of all the many villages I have stayed in over the years, and an unappealing basic diner. I arrived about 3 pm and after arriving at the Albergue it took only a few minutes to tour the town, so sat in the local bar drinking their local red wine.

    The following days were enjoyable with a german man and french woman as occasional walking and dining companions for a few days.

    I finished at Sanguesa (about 5 weeks after I started in Le Puy) as it was easier for catching buses and trains to Germany [where I spent 3 weeks].

    Now home for 2 weeks so life is back to normal, but wondering when I might walk the Camino Norte. Long walks, especially in Europe, get to be an addiction. The Camino Norte comes highly recommended.

    Cheers

    Garis

    ReplyDelete