Tuesday 21 June 2016

Day 6 - 11 April: To Saint-Gervais

Those bus connections were never going to work!  


The first was due to arrive at17:10, with the next departing at 17:10.  I gave up totally at a stop for a school.   Waiting for the laggards as the digital clock on the bus clicked over 1708, 09, 10, 12....


We were 15 minutes late.  But at least there was the sign to St Gervais.  So I decided to walk and hitch hike. 

 
The first lift came in minutes, a young woman driving but with a young fellow who had been on my bus (he recognized me, but I had not noticed him - maybe I stood out).  The second took longer; I was walking through a small town and came on a youngish woman loading up her jalopy.  She said St Gervais was on her "route" (well, something like that) and I hopped in, and we seemed to go a very long way through the mountains.  She turned off near another village and I was walking for maybe 15 minutes before another younger woman stopped.  She had her shopping in the back and it turned out she lived by the Camino and we wondered whether I would see her on the morrow.  I found it very interesting that only women had stopped for me (there was not a large number of cars passing, but many more than three and only women stopped).  And they had all guessed that I was trying to get to the Chemin.   

I got to St Gervais only an hour late and i stumbled onto the small tourist office.  The municipal gite was already closed so I took what was available, especially as it was just around the corner.  Michel was waiting at the door.

The gite is in an old building and seems to be a real rabbit warren that must have rooms for many guests.  My room was on the top floor.  What I loved was that my window looked out on this gorgeous little stream with colourful houses on the other side.  Chantal had packed me a survival kit so I sat by the window and slowly drank a beer.




My room was more than acceptable, close to the bathroom but that was up a step and I hoped that I would not have to find my way there in the dark.  What was luxury was sheets on the bed and an old towel.  So I was happy enough to pay the 17Euro.

I had a look around and St Gervais is a lovely little village.



I found the way out of the village for tomorrow and a little cafe for dinner (I had seen no sign of a decent kitchen at the gite and it was too late anyway). I selected the 16Euro three course meal - charcuterie plate, duck confit with risotto aux crepes and a small cheese.  i thought it was a bit expensive for what I got, but time will tell whether that assessment is fair (I did wonder about the pricing policy since it cost the same for the glass of pernod and the glass of vin rouge).  There was not much custom, one couple were there when I arrived and the only other guests seemed to be friends who left without eating.  It was just as well I turned up or it would have been a very dim night!

And so to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment